Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Tasting - Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc


Name: Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc
Variety: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
Region: Marlborough
Country: New Zealand
Year: 2013
Price: $6.75/glass

Restaurant Review: Aromas of passionfruit, grassiness, gooseberries, and green melons jump out of the glass. The palate is lighter-bodied, crisp and crunchy, with succulent tropical flavors, licks of chopped herbs, and a refreshing cirtusy acidity. 
-Lefty's, Blacksburg 

My Review: This wine was my first "real" wine (not Barefoot) that I bought and paired with food all on my own! It might have had something to do with the fact that I was out to dinner right after wine class, where we had just talked about sauvignon blanc...and after I saw this wine on the menu right after I had spotted the Tilapia special, I thought I'd give it a go! The nose was slightly acidic, barely reminiscent of fruit, but not overwhelmingly sweet. The taste was very clean, a little more sweet than the smell, but true to the above description: slightly fruity with an acidic and tangy end note. Overall very good.
I did taste this wine with food. After we had discussed that these kinds of wines typically go well with seafood, I couldn't pass up the tilapia special with mango salsa, wild rice, and roasted brussell sprouts. I would say that the wine was slightly more sweet when drinking it with the food. Otherwise, the mango salsa brought out the fruit notes in the wine a bit more than drinking it without.  

No comments:

Post a Comment